Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Road Runner features beyond internet access: Email

First off a 'master account' is automatically created for you when TWC sets you up with Road Runner for cable internet access. You don't realize it but it's there and you'll need it to get into Road Runner Webmail.

I came across my master account name (it will also be your main email address) when I created an account at www.timewarnercable.com and linked it to my cable subscriber ID from my TWC bill. Note that www.timewarnercable.com and www.roadrunner.com are basically different systems even though it's all under the Time Warner Cable umbrella. TWC should really tie all their services together as a single user/pass under one website with consistent branding and URLs. To get to the different features you have go to different websites and login again so it's not a great user experience.

I found my master account name by going to the 'My Services' section of www.timewarnercable.com after I logged in. Then I went to 'My Internet' and your master account will be displayed there. You could also review this page for instructions - http://www.timewarnercable.com/nynj/site.faqs/HighSpeedO/E-mailAcco/How-do-I-retrieve-my-Road-Runn

The master account is just an email address and this will also be your main Road Runner email account. The email address is a default computer generated address so it's ugly like first initial last name and then a big random number (jdoe123456@nyc.rr.com). The email domain is "rr.com" but there is a subdomain based on geography. I live in NYC so my mail address ends in "@nyc.rr.com" Probably for California customers it'll be something like "@ca.rr.com." This is not too portable of a convention and an odd choice if you ask me. They should consolidate under simply "@rr.com". You can create more human friendly email address and I'll review that later.

So you now have your email address so you can click the "Go to Road Runner Mail" link on that same 'My Internet' page. The link for me is webmail.nyc.rr.com and in keeping with their geography based URLs there is an 'nyc' in the webmail link rendered on the My Internet page of the www.timewarnercable.com site.  But what's the password to get access this email account? I didn't have it and I don't recall ever getting one. No problem, the site allows you create a new password. You have to enter your cable modem ID number and then TWC will display your password for your master account/main email account. Bit of a hassle to get your cable modem ID but go here for steps  http://www.timewarnercable.com/nynj/site.faqs/HighSpeedO/E-mailAcco/How-do-I-change-my-Road-Runner.

On the Road Runner Webmail site I entered my email and password and got it access with no problems. Their webmail is your standard web based mail site so nothing special. How much storage do you get on the Road Runner email account? The amount of storage per account depends upon the service purchased:

Service                     Email Storage
Road Runner Lite/Basic      100MB
Road Runner Standard        2GB
Road Runner Premium/Turbo   5GB

You can also create sub-email accounts under your master account which are basically independent email accounts with their own inbox. Depending on your service you can create certain numbers such sub-email accounts. I created a sub-email account with a more friendly email address compared to the master account TWC automatically crafted. Here's the FAQ for Road Runner Web Mail.

I have the Road Runner Standard service so I should have 2GB quota of storage. Road Runner reserves the right to lower quota if you are not using the email account regularly, as I found out.

Road Runner email works fine but I will not be using it. I'm leery of using a non-portable email. What if I leave TWC and go with Verizon FiOS in the future if I could - how would I access Road Runner email if I no longer subscribed to the Road Runner service? What if I leave the NYC area? I don't think I would want an email that had 'nyc' in it.  Turns out you cannot access your rr.com email if you no longer subscribe to RR services. TWC verified that the email account is disabled when you are no longer an active subscriber. I have a GMail account that I like a lot. RR webmail allows you to forward mails to another email, so I set it up to forward to my GMail address.

List of Road Runner features beyond internet access:

6 comments:

  1. Wow! this is a great info especially on Road Runner..

    arcmail defender

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roadrunner webmail is an instant hit among its users that it is a huge internet service provider in around the world; our roadrunner support is particular webmail service provider perfectly possesses and they provide significant features that instantly fulfill users needs and their requirements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are facing errors with you your roadrunner emails? If yes, to contact our roadrunner support phone number and you must be thinking for our high qualified good RR technician, who can do servicing fast at your suitable time. Our roadrunner support number is a one stop solution for all types of emails errors, Be it is an errors related to your, roadrunner webmail and support via road runner support number.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roadrunner webmail is an instant hit among its users that it is a huge internet service provider in around the world; our roadrunner support is particular webmail service provider perfectly possesses and they provide significant features that instantly fulfill users needs and their requirements. We provide roadrunner email support account and is provides many benefits to the esteemed worldwide users but certain times its esteemed users have to anytime you facing errors and you want any solution to relate RR email to contact our Roadrunner Support Number, get more details http://www.roadrunnersupportnumber.com/support-for-roadrunner.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roadrunner support number is available to solve your issues like re saving and sending mails issue, and many errors about roadrunner web mail, we solve your errors through road runner support number. Our highly qualified technicians are ready to support you and they are providing roadrunner support + 1-844- 659-1035 to solve your difficult errors, get more information http://www.roadrunnersupportnumber.com/support-for-roadrunner.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This roadrunner email is using are many user’s in around world but mostly customers have facing errors in this roadrunner web mail and customers can get help through the road runner email support.

    ReplyDelete